In recognition of the annual health observance, International Clean Hands Week, the Boca Grande Health Clinic would like to talk about the importance of good hand hygiene. Sponsored by the Clean Hands Coalition, International Clean Hands Week is an annual opportunity to remind the world that “Clean hands prevent illness and save lives!”
Who should pay attention to keeping their hands clean?
Everyone! Clean hands are the best defense we have against spreading the common cold and flu germs. And in these days of the Coronavirus, clean hands are essential.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), regular handwashing is one of the best ways to remove germs, avoid getting sick, and prevent the spread of germs to others. Whether you are at home, at work, traveling, or out in the community, handwashing with soap and water can protect you and your family – and the island community.
How to wash your hands for health
The CDC recommends you practice these five steps every time for proper hand washing:
- Wet your hands with clean, running water (warm or cold), turn off the tap, and apply soap.
- Lather your hands by rubbing them together with the soap. Lather the backs of your hands, between your fingers, and under your nails.
- Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds. Need a timer? Hum the “Happy Birthday” song from beginning to end twice.
- Rinse your hands well under clean, running water.
- Dry your hands using a clean towel or air dry them.
If you’d like to learn more about hand washing, visit the CDC’s Show Me the Science – Handwashing page.
Clean hands are part of the BG Pledge
In addition to social distancing, proper use of face coverings and quarantining when you are ill, washing your hands with soap and water for the suggested 20 seconds or using hand-sanitizer frequently is an important part of the Boca Grande Pledge.
We thank our local businesses and everyone who has signed the BG Pledge to go above and beyond to support one another and to keep one another and the entire Boca Grande community healthy and safe for everyone to enjoy for many years to come.
The BG Pledge
- I/We pledge to support local businesses by shopping and dining locally whenever possible.
- I/We pledge to practice physical distancing by staying the recommended six feet apart from others.
- I/We pledge to wear a face mask while frequenting island establishments and businesses and when I am in public.
- I/We pledge to refrain from touching surfaces whenever possible and keep my hands away from my face.
- I/We pledge to wash my hands with soap and water for the suggested twenty seconds or use hand-sanitizer frequently.
- I/We pledge to cover my face when I cough or sneeze and then use hand-sanitizer again.
- I/We pledge to stay home and follow the quarantine guidelines if I am feeling unwell, have traveled, or if I have had contact with a person with COVID-19.
- I/We pledge to call the Clinic or my own medical provider for guidance if I exhibit symptoms of COVID-19 or have been exposed to COVID-19.
- I/We pledge to modify my actions and encourage others to do the same as guidelines and recommendations adjust over time.
- I/We pledge to be positive, kind, and show respect for our community.
If you’d like to take the pledge, we encourage you to visit Boca Grande Pledge.
More Recent Healthcare News
The Boca Grande Health Clinic is running a survey to identify interest in receiving a flu shot, or a COVID-19 booster shot (if these become available) at the Clinic. “Last year’s drive-through flu clinic was a big success, and we hope to replicate it this coming flu season,” said Mark Driscoll, Boca Grande Health Clinic […]
Sunday, June 20, marks the official start to summer for all of us that live north of the equator. The June solstice is when Earth arrives at the point in its orbit where the North Pole is at its maximum tilt (about 23.5 degrees) toward the Sun, resulting in the longest day and shortest night […]
Just a little over five months ago, we launched Boca Grande Health Clinic’s newly redesigned website with a goal to provide our patients and Islanders with a simple way to access important information for their own health, and the health of the community. “We set out to create a website that is the source of […]
A monumental milestone has been reached in our Island’s fight against COVID-19 as the Boca Grande Health Clinic has now vaccinated more than 3,100 patients and members of the Island community with their first and/or second doses of the COVID-19 vaccine. “We’ve come a long way in protecting the health of Boca Grande,” said Mark […]